home dry home


Ah yeah. Home sweet home. Things didn't go quite as planned during the last hour of the festival. Just as we were ready to start packing up, a tornado like wind swept through vendors village and blew up such a dust storm that I felt like my exposed skin was being sandblasted. Then, along with up to 100 mph winds, we were assaulted with sheets of cold rain, hail and lightning. Some of the drains had been covered up with bike racks and sand bags, so the street quickly started flooding. While I was riffling stock into eggie as fast as I could, Todd and Josh (my brother) were disassembling the awning structure. Yep. Standing in 6" of water, holding 6 ft iron poles isn't smart in a lightning storm. Louie the Lightning Bug wouldn't have approved. We left drenched. I wasn't too bad because I was hiding inside eggie trying to make sense of the mess and secure anything that might bounce around, get crushed or break when we pulled out of there. Some vendors abandoned their post and others packed up and ran. That was the crash and bang that ended the Winnipeg Fringe Festival 2012. When I arrived home, we found a huge old tree split right in half and laying across the road. Our lights were out for over and hour but thankfully, there was no tornado. We don't get a lot of those around here, but I've heard that this year is a very active one for tornado's and serious storms on the prairies. I hope that's all we'll see of it!

The next day, I ended up working up a sweat unpacking the tangled mess of hangers and dusty merch. It sucked, because I had planned on carefully sorting as I packed stock away on Sunday. Mother nature had other plans, and now I was left with one big ball of dusty battered stock. So, instead of relaxing as planned, I sorted, washed, threw away broken hangers, and made sense of the lot. Sigh. . .  On top of that we all started up with colds, probably from hanging out right in the middle of the storm the day before. Needless to say, it wasn't fun. But that's the nature of the mobile biz. You never know what will happen, and you can't always come prepared. Funny thing, this is the second time in the past 10 years I've been caught outside at a sale in a storm like this, and I bet it won't be the last. Just so thankful I wasn't alone.

Today is my day for chilling out, going for a walk, and pretending I have nothing in the world to do. It's a lie (ahem . . . check the current projects on the sidebar for my most pressing to do list). Peace.