Although the snow is still on the ground the calender tells me it's spring. That means it's time to get serious about plans for summer vacation. Most years we've stayed around the city because I've attended festivals with Eggie, and that ate up a lot of Todd's vacation time. This year I realized that our summers together as a family are numbered, especially with the kids being at the age where they aren't yet home sick for their friends in the typical brooding teenage way. I've been there, so I won't blame them when it happens. So, instead of them spending hot days sitting on the streets of Winnipeg, selling clothes with momma, we're taking our family on the road for another kind of adventure. I figure, go big! We're starting to plan a Roadtrip for this August from Winnipeg, MB to Tofino, B.C. After checking out airfare from Winnipeg to Vancouver (about $550 x 4 people = $2200) and the prices of hotels ($150 - $300 a night), it looks like a camping we will go!
Our goal will be to take the ferry from Vancouver to the Pacific Rim highway, staying at Ucluelet and Tofino. Planning a trip like this is intense. We're planning on towing our Eggie which is a tiny compact 15' long with hitch, but still is going to require some consideration on how our car will handle such a long trip towing her. I'm a bit nervous about it, but the benefit is, more storage space than bringing tents, a fridge, and the ability to unhitch and take as many day trips as we like. Plus, even with the extra gas it'll take to tow her along, and pricier than normal site fees, we'll still be ahead of hotel + airfare + car rental ( = sell a kidney). I asked for advice on Instagram on where to visit, where to stay, and any traveling tips about B.C. The response was so helpful! I thought I'd open it up here on the blog. Have you been through Vancouver to the Pacific Rim? I'd love to add your tip to my growing list!
We will be passing through Brandon, Regina, Moosejaw, Swift Current, Medicine Hat, Calgary, Lake Louise, Yoho National Park, Kamloops, Abbotsford, West Vancouver, Nanaimo, Coombs, Ucluelet, Tofino.
- Hidden Valley, Salmon Arm // Camp
- Bella Pacifica, Tofino // Camp
- Middle Beach // Lodge
see & do
- Ucluelet Aquarium
- D & D Dutchman Dairy Farm
- Surfing lessons w/ Surfing Sister
- whale watching
- Drumheller & Royal Tyrell Museum in AB
- Antique Shopping, Coombs
- Cathedral Grove
- Long Beach, Tofino
- Fraser Canyon / Hells Gate
- Tubby Dog - Calgary
- Shelter restaurant - Tofino
- Wildside Grill - Tofino
- Goats on the Roof, Coombs
- Camp spots book up fast (yikes!)
- Book a spot on the ferry ahead of time. Bring water for a long wait.
- Be prepared for slow driving, twists and turns on the Pacific Rim highway. Car sickness alert!
- Bring rain gear and be prepared for cool mornings (average summer temp is 17 C)
- Get groceries in Nanaimo or Vancouver, they are pricey in Tofino.